Thread: Mail server host name in greeting

Junior Member Newbie

Default Mail server host name in greeting

I am recieving this warning from DNS report (see below). I have A records for both mail.wearebent.com and server.wearebent.com, however still no luck. How would I go about changing the hostname it responds with?

--------------
    WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

mail.wearebent.com claims to be non-existent host server.wearebent.com:
    220 server.wearebent.com ESMTP

Former employee Newbie

This is because your reverse IP address returns wearebent.com instead of server.wearebent.com. You should submit a reverse DNS request by going to the spry support page and clicking on 'reverse DNS request'

Junior Member Newbie

Hi Max,

Spry has updated my record and the reverse DNS now resolves to server.wearebent.com. However, the DNS report still shows that same error (even with verifying that the reverse record resolves to server.wearebent.com in the report). Do you have any other suggestions?

Member Newbie

I'm the one who dealt with your recent ticket. I noticed that you have a reverse DNS record for one of the IP addresses on your server, but not for the other IP address. I'll re-open the ticket and add a record for the second IP address to see if this fixes your problem.

Junior Member Newbie

Hi Andrew,

It seems I am still getting the warning. Here is the full report: http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...=wearebent.com

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help so far!

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dnsreport.com
    Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.
    Wait until DNSreport.com clears their cache. 'server.wearebent.com' now has both forward and reverse dns entries that agree.

Junior Member Newbie

Thumbs up

Looks like the cache has cleared and the test now passes! Thanks for all of your help and Spry's excellent service. I will stop bugging you now