Thread: New to VPS, need some help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Newbie

Default New to VPS, need some help

Hello,

I'm new to VPS. I figured out how to use FileZilla to upload using SSH and I've successfully logged in, but now I need help where to go from here. I see my root directory. I was hoping perhaps someone could answer the following questions, and or offer any other helps. Thanks...

1. Should I upload my website folders into the primary directory, or should I create a folder for my website and then upload all the folders into that folder?

2. I have multiple websites and need to move them all into the VPS account. Should I create a folder for each in the root directory? So if I'm thinking correctly it would look something like this in the server...

ROOT FOLDER:
    >Website One Folder
    >>Website One Sub Folders

>Website Two Folder
    >>Website Two Sub Folders

>Website Three Folder
    >>Website Three Sub Folders

Is this the correct folder structure?

3. How do I redirect the pointer from my old hosting server to the new VPS server?

4. Is everything else pretty much the same as with a standard website and FTP or are there things I should know?

I'm completely new to SPRY and VPS, although I've been working with FTP and simple websites for many years. I'd appreciate any help or tips.

Thanks much,
    David
    Last edited by david7777; 08-07-2013 at 01:41 AM.