Thread: Transfer domain name from bluehost

Junior Member Newbie

Default Transfer domain name from bluehost

Hi,
    I recently opened a VPS 200 plan with Spry but left my domain at my old host. Unfortunately I can't register private nameservers with them to point the domain to my new IP address. So I have to transfer my domain somewhere else right? I'd like to transfer to you guys (mywebpayment.com I guess) but I'm confused about how to do so. At the spry/mywebpayment page I've entered my domain to transfer but I don't have an EPP Auth Key to enter that is required. What is this and how do I get one? At my current host where the domain is registered a message states: "Your domain must already be registered with another Registrar in order to begin"

I'm confused

Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Dave

Forum Administrator Power Poster Lyle@Spry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black_box
    Hi,
    I recently opened a VPS 200 plan with Spry but left my domain at my old host. Unfortunately I can't register private nameservers with them to point the domain to my new IP address. So I have to transfer my domain somewhere else right?
    Yes. If they are unable/unwilling to register private nameservers.
    I'd like to transfer to you guys (mywebpayment.com I guess) but I'm confused about how to do so. At the spry/mywebpayment page I've entered my domain to transfer but I don't have an EPP Auth Key to enter that is required. What is this and how do I get one?
    The EPP Authorization Code (EPP Auth Code or EPP Authorization Key) is a 6- to 16-character code assigned by the registrar at the time the .com, .net, .biz, .org, .info or .name domain name was created. The authorization transfer key is basically a password for the domain. Auth codes are an extra security measure, ensuring that only the owner of the domain can make transfers.

If you do not know your auth code, you can obtain it from your registrar. Registrars are contractually required to provide the auth code upon the request by the registrant.

As of October 28, 2006, all .com and .net domains are required to have an EPP key. This key is generated by your current domain registrar and they can provide it for you upon request.
    At my current host where the domain is registered a message states: "Your domain must already be registered with another Registrar in order to begin"

I'm confused
    Same here, what is this registrar so I know to avoid them in the future?